Who you need to notify when getting a lodger

Who you will need to inform will depend on your individual circumstances, but here is a general list…

Local Tax Office

Taking in a lodger may affect your council tax, particularly if you’re currently benefiting from the ‘single person’ 25% discount (because you will no longer be living alone).

It is advised for everyone currently living alone, but is looking to get a lodger, to contact their local tax office, to determine if the council tax will be affected. For more information, please refer to the page where we discuss how lodgers may affect council tax.

Mortgage lender

If you have a mortgage on your property, you should inform your lender that you plan on taking in a lodger BEFORE you actually do it.

In most cases, your lender will be fine with it and nothing will need to change. However, in some cases they can be a little funny about it. It’s always best to check what their policy is.

Insurance Lender

This has been covered in detail on the insurance page, but just to be clear- you should notify your insurance provider that you plan on taking in a lodger BEFORE you actually do it.

Your insurer may not allow lodgers under your current policy, so you may need to get a new policy, which is specifically covers landlord insurance (they may increase your premium if that’s the case).

Failing to inform your insurer of a lodger could invalidate your policy, which means you will be unable to make any claims, so it’s extremely important to do it.


If you’re a tenant renting a property, and you wish to get a lodger (which is perfectly feasible), you should get permission from your landlord before doing so.

Failing to notify your landlord could make you in breach of your tenancy agreement, and may also void your landlord’s mortgage and insurance policies.


If you own a leasehold property, check your lease- it may or may not permit lodgers, in which case you may need to get permission from the freeholder.